Wednesday, June 10, 2009

how do you think you have grown as a reader in the past year? what have you discovered about yourself as a reader.

Being a reader holds much responsibility, in order to progress as a reader, one must first want to be as responsible as it takes. I feel that in the past year, i have grown greatly as a reader and that it shows through my reading. Not only does my progression in reading show through my reading, but it also reflects how am I am as a person. There are mutliple ways that I have grown as a reader and they all add up to my overall progression. I owe all of my progression as a reader to all the training and practice i have practiced in English 11R with Mr. Brannigan through out this whole year. An example of a way that i have advanced as a reader is the way i interpret vocabulary words that i do not recognize in my reading, meaning that instead of skipping over unknown words, i now look up the words either through the internet or dictionary. After identifying the definition of the words, i then re-read the passage. This gives me a much greater understanding for what I am reading. One more example of how I have grown as a reader is my note taking skills. Before this year I would normally read the book and hope to remember the important elements of the story, but now i can be assured that any information from the story that i may need after completing the book, I'll have written down in my notes and be able to look back at them. Along with my advance of reading skills, this year has also taught me alot about myself as a reader. The most important thing that i have discovered about myself as a reader, is that the more I commit my self to my reading, the more my reading will commit itself to me. This simply means that the more effort i put into trying to understand what I am reading, The more I will actually understand it. Overall this year has done more than i could ever imagine for my reading skills and i greatly appreciate the progression this year's english class and Mr. Brannigan have given me.

No comments: